Student Life Events at St. George
Mindful Reading: Strategic Skimming and Skipping
Jun 24, 2021 10:00 AM
to 11:30 AM
Registration Deadline: Jun 24, 2021 10:00 AM
This is part 2 of a 2 part workshop series where we will use evidence-based learning strategies and mindfulness practices to help you settle and focus your mind for university-level reading.
During this workshop, you will continue the conversation with a learning strategist from Academic Success and Dan D'Agostino, a librarian at Robarts and a certified teacher of Compassion Cultivation Training, to discuss how to utilize skimming and skipping strategically and mindfully in your reading practice. Topics covered during this session will include:
- Recognizing and gaining awareness of different reasons for skipping and skimming
- Identifying what to strategically skip and skim, while maintaining your learning
- Variants to common reading strategies and when to use these well
This session will include meditative practices, sharing of learning strategies, open discussion, and opportunities to apply and practice mindful reading skills.
What you will need & access:
- This workshop requires access to the internet for an uninterrupted hour and a half although a call-in number will also be provided for a less participatory option.
- You can request the slides ahead of time (or after) to support your participation and/or learning.
- The workshop will be presented in English with English and closed captioning available via MS Teams or Zoom. There is also a translation function for the comments.
- This workshops will contain interactive components. You might be invited to engage with the workshop using the chat function, virtual breakout rooms, online polling and will have the option to contribute using your mic and/or video functions.
- This session will include meditative practices, sharing of learning strategies, open discussion, and opportunities to apply and practice mindful reading skills.
While we will work towards creating an accessible workshop, so that you don't have to disclose any different abilities or disabilities, if you have any specific accommodations you'd like to ensure are responded to please an email to firstname.lastname@example.org