Student Life Events at St. George
Building Resilience through Self-Compassion (GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY)
Dec 14, 2020 01:00 PM
to 03:00 PM
Registration Deadline: Dec 14, 2020 01:00 PM
Self-compassion involves treating yourself the way you would treat a friend who is having a hard time even if your friend is feeling inadequate, or just facing a tough life challenge. Self-compassion is a practice in which we learn to be a good friend to ourselves when we need it most to become an inner ally rather than an inner enemy.
This workshop has been developed for graduate students who notice that oftentimes they can be their own harshest critic. Here we describe the theory and research supporting self-compassion to help motivate with encouragement rather than self-criticism and provide strategies to help build resilience.
In this workshop you will learn:
- Better understanding of self-compassion and the benefits of reducing self-criticism by treating yourself with kindness
- Respond to feelings of failure or inadequacy with self-kindness
- Building resilience through development of more self-compassionate strategies and behaviours
- Lorie Atkinson, Wellness Counsellor & Coordinator, MSW, RSW
- Heidi Cho, Wellness Counsellor & Coordinator, MSW, RSW
- Laurie Coleman, Wellness Counsellor & Coordinator, MSW, RSW
- Tracey Doyle, On-Location Wellness Counsellor, MSW, RSW
This session will be held on the Blackboard Collaborate platform and all University of Toronto GRADUATE students are welcome to attend. Please note that there is a maximum of 30 participants in this session - so register soon!
** PLEASE NOTE ALL WORKSHOP TIMES ARE IN EST (Eastern Standard Time) **
If you have questions or require accommodations, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.