The Work Study Program is a partnership between the University Registrar's Office, the tri-campus career services (includes UTM's Career Centre, UTSG's Career Exploration & Education, and UTSC's Academic Advising and Career Centre) and the Office of the Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education.
Across the University of Toronto, over 4000 students are hired annually through the Work Study Program, providing a meaningful work integrated learning experience. Through paid, on-campus work experiences, students develop their knowledge, strengthen their skills, and explore how their academic studies translate to career possibilities. Students do not have to be OSAP eligible to participate in the Work Study program.
Work Study Streams
The University of Toronto offers 2 Work Study streams:
- The Work Experience Stream
is designed to support students in developing and articulating workplace skills and competencies and in building workplace experience and knowledge. These positions are supervised by staff, faculty or librarians and include opportunities to explore and reflect on how academic studies connect to workplace competencies and how the Work Study experience translates to career possibilities.
- The Research Experience Stream is designed to support students in locating and participating in faculty-led research opportunities. These positions provide students with the opportunity to undertake or support a research project under the direction of a faculty member and involve the application of foundational methodologies and / or theories within a research field. They also include opportunities to explore and reflect on how academic studies connect to workplace competencies and how the Work Study experience translates to career possibilities.
University of Toronto faculty and full-time staff are welcome to participate as employers; you must confirm funding and approval, per your faculty/divisional process, for hiring a Work Study position.
The Departmental Business Officer (or administrative equivalent) plays an integral role in the various work study processes including the hiring and onboarding of students. Detailed instructions and deadlines are available below.
To participate in the Work Study Program, students must satisfy the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a University of Toronto student
- Graduate students must be registered as defined by their college / faculty in order to be eligible
- Students are permitted to accept only ONE Work Study position per program period
- International students are subject to additional eligibility criteria and are strongly encouraged to refer to the Centre for International Experience to confirm they meet all of the Government of Canada regulations regarding on-campus work
- Non-degree students are ineligible for Work Study
- Students doing a placement (e.g., co-op work term) are ineligible for Work Study
- Students registered in the Toronto School of Theology are ineligible for Work Study
Fall/Winter 2023-24 Course Load:
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 2.0 FCE (full course equivalent)
- Graduate students must be registered for the fall and winter sessions
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 0.5 FCE (full course equivalent)
- Graduate students must be registered for the summer session
Learn more about program requirements and verify your eligibility here.Students are permitted to accept only one Work Study position in each of the Work Study Program cycles. They may not change positions after they have signed a Letter of Offer and the Online Hiring Approval Form has been submitted by the original hiring department.
- Program Requirements & Eligibility - WS rates, hours, etc.
- (Jobs & Recruitment > Work Study > About Work Study (Faculty/Staff) > Program Requirements & Eligibility)
- Work Study Streams
- (Jobs & Recruitment > Work Study > About Work Study (Faculty/Staff) > Work Study Streams)
- Work Study Program Dates - timelines for each cycle
- (Jobs & Recruitment > Work Study > About Work Study (Faculty/Staff) > Work Study Program Dates)
- Step-by-Step Process & Forms - detailed instructions including Hiring Approval process
- (Jobs & Recruitment > Work Study > About Work Study (Faculty/Staff) > Step-by-Step Process & Forms)
- Supports for Supervisors - including Work Study eModule series (or Professional Development Workbook)
Job Form Resources