Student Life Events at St. George
Mindful Reading for Grad Students: Strategic Skimming and Skipping
Nov 18, 2021 09:30 AM
to 11:00 AM
Registration Deadline: Nov 18, 2021 11:00 AM
Mindful Reading for Grads: Strategic Skimming and Skipping
This is part 2 of a 2 part workshop series where we will use evidence-based learning strategies and mindfulness practices to help you settle and focus your mind for grad-level reading.
During this workshop, you will continue the conversation with a learning strategist from Academic Success and Dan D'Agostino, a librarian at Robarts and a certified teacher of Compassion Cultivation Training, to discuss how to utilize skimming and skipping strategically and mindfully in your reading practice. Topics covered during this session will include:
- Recognizing and gaining awareness of different reasons for skipping and skimming
- Identifying what to strategically skip and skim, while maintaining your learning
- Variants to common reading strategies and when to use these well
What you will need & access:
- This workshop requires access to the internet for an uninterrupted hour and a half although a call-in number will also be provided for a less participatory option.You can request the slides ahead of time (or after) to support your participation and/or learning.
- The workshop will be presented in English with English and closed captioning available via MS Teams or Zoom. There is also a translation function for the comments.
- This workshop will contain interactive components. You might be invited to engage with the workshop using the chat function, virtual breakout rooms, online polling and will have the option to contribute using your mic and/or video functions.
- This session will include meditative practices, sharing of learning strategies, open discussion, and opportunities to apply and practice mindful reading skills.
While we will work towards creating an accessible workshop, so that you don't have to disclose any different abilities or disabilities, if you have any specific accommodations you'd like to ensure are responded to please an email to email@example.com